Elbow and knee guards recommended (not compulsory).
Rules of Racing
1. Minimum age – 5 years.
2. Only 1 Driver (no passengers),
3. All Billycarts must commence on our starting ramp (No Exceptions).
4. No outside assistance is allowed – rocking is allowed.
5. No peddling, pushing or propulsion of any kind allowed.
6. One driver one cart only. The same billycart cannot be used more than once in the same Race Category. Billycart can be used in different categories (ie 5 to 7 yrs then 8 to 10 yrs).
7. Driver must remain seated at all times while racing.
8. Driver must remain wholly within the cart with their entire body behind the front axle for the duration of the race.
9. Billycarts must travel in a straight path – no swerving, weaving or intentional dangerous driving – such action will cause immediate disqualification.
10. Any billycarts that crash will be disqualified. At the discretion of organizers, any Billy cart crashed into may receive another run, time permitting.
11. All billycarts and driver must be available for scrutineering between 7.00 am and 8:30 am.
12. A billycart or driver may be disqualified at any time at the discretion of the Chief Marshall. Dangerous driving, Billy carts considered too heavy or unsafe, or poor conduct by participants will not be tolerated and may result in immediate expulsion or disqualification from the event or the whole day. The Chief Marshall’s decision will be final and binding.
13. The Committee reserves the right to rearrange or cancel events; announcements will be made if this happens.
14. No registration fee refunds.
15. All billycarts will be entitled to a minimum of two runs.
16. At the end of the days racing there will be open fun racing for all paid entrants (if enough time).
IT’S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO BE AT THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME
• The overall width of at least 400mm and less than 1200mm no longer than 2100mm.
• The minimum distance between front and rear axle is to be no less than the width of the axle.
• Carts restricted to a weight of 75kg MAX excluding driver-carts exceeding this weight will not be able to race.
• Made from any lightweight material (Wood, Steel or composite).
• Bodywork must not contain glass.
• NO sharp edges or spikes.
• Must have brakes capable of locking MIN OF 2 WHEELS via the wheel or axle brakes. e.g. Wheel, Caliper, disc, axle brakes or push bike brakes.
• Brakes are operated by pedal or lever which is securely mounted.
• If the braking system fails during the day, the cart may be disqualified if not repairable. Cart must be able to stop to race and will be re scrutinized after repairs.
• Must have adequate steering (When a basic pivoting front axle with rope steering is used, the axle swing movement is to be restricted to 100mm “lock to lock” (no greater than 15 degrees) to reduce an unintentional major change of direction).
• If rope steering is used feet MUST be able to touch the front axle.
• MUST have 4 or 3 load bearing wheels on 2 axles ONLY & all wheels on the ground (This will be assessed at scrutineering). NO other Wheels are allowed ANYWHERE ON CART……….
• Pneumatic wheels of any size are recommended – (solid wheels are not recommended due to the road surface. 10” or greater diameter recommended).
• All spoke wheels must be protected from driver internally by either a guard/wheel arch/enclosed cabin or a “wheel cone” (plastic or cardboard disc cable tied/attached to inside of wheel).
• Any position is allowed as long as it is secure, wholly within the cart and a safe distance behind front axle entirely.
• Carts with single front wheel & 2 rear wheels MUST have rear braking & seat mounted on the rear axle.
• Carts with 2 front wheels & one rear wheel should have braking on both front wheels & seating as close to the front of the rear wheel as possible.
Race Categories & Entrance fees
9 years and under $15 or $20 on the day
10 to 15 Years $15 or $20 on the day
16 and over $15 or $15 on the day